Saturday, October 31, 2015

A Halloween Memory

When special days of any kind roll around, they bring memories.
One Halloween I remember was when Trip was twelve.
Around that time, I had been helping an immigrant Romanian couple with their English. Both scientists, they had fled their oppressive government for a new life and were eager to learn anything American. Using French, and any props, expressions and hand motions that I could, I tried to teach some basics of our language, our currency, the time change (as we are having tonight), customs, and since it was the day, Halloween. They let their son who was about Trip's age come to our house and go Trick or Treating with him in our neighborhood. What fun! When I took Liviu back home to his upstairs apartment, and he poured out all his candy on the table, the parents were wide-eyed.
After so many years, that is about all the memory I still have of that evening. But when October 31 comes, I wonder what became of them. I hope they have fond memories of their first Halloween in America and can tell the same story I just did.

No comments:

Post a Comment