Monday, August 24, 2020

vanilla

Just for fun, I've been making my own vanilla for the past 3-4 years, and now it is about used up. So I ordered a pack of ten beans recently for new batches. The easy thing would be do it all at once, but like the song says, I've never done anything (nice and) easy. You just slit some of the long beans to expose the seeds and put them in a bottle or smallish glass container with your drinking alcohol of choice. Six weeks ago I started some with rum. Today I started another with vodka. It will take months for the vanilla beans and their tiny seeds to permeate the alcohol with enough flavor to use in baking. During that time, the bottle needs to stay in a dark place and be shaken daily. I wonder which base will make the better vanilla. I will take another pic in a few months when it becomes brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment