Thursday, February 13, 2014

two weeks later

The second really bad winter storm of the year came by Wilmington on its path north. We didn't get snow like much of the Carolinas did, but the steady hard rain created too much ice for some trees and power lines to bear, and many places are still without electricity. My house fared pretty well. No outages and only one fallen branch that did happen to knock some siding off the back of the house. But I know that when February comes, spring is not far away.

I still have to pinch myself (figuratively) sometimes that I am here. The whole lengthy transition was such an ordeal, and one never really knows how change will work out. In this case, it worked out just fine. I am thankful daily.

Life is in the head. It is what we think and believe it is. Therefore I have been making some deliberate changes in my head. I am putting the past in its proper place, mostly behind me, and am thinking toward the future. One step I have taken is renting an art studio. Wilmington is an arty place. I see the awesome trees here, the water, sky, and big sun, and I think Mother Nature lavished the city with beauty from the beginning. Now creative folks in all disciplines are attracted to it, filling it with man made lovely things.

My as yet unfinished studio space is in an old factory across from Greenfield Lake. A man named Jim bought it for another purpose several years ago, but now has a new vision for it. He wants it to house an art community, and he's off to a good start with the gifted and hard working artists who have already set up shop. He didn't seem to be concerned that I had no idea what I will be doing in my studio. "I will find something," I told him. I thanked him for making my dream come true. I have always dreamed of having an art studio.

Won't that be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment