Sunday, May 4, 2014

all in the name of charity


On Friday evening, I was a docent at at a lovely designer show house. I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy it after hearing in training the restrictions imposed on us, but it was great fun.

The large and well built home from the seventies had sat vacant in its tree shaded location for a couple of years until this redo by a bevy of design teams, bringing it to the beauty standards of 2014. Now for about three weeks it will be available for the public to see. Proceeds go to the arts.

As the sun was setting over Wilmington, another docent and I were posted on the expansive front porch to greet the attendees at the opening party. Our mission was to take the ticket stubs and then politely request all who entered, before stepping a foot inside the place, to cover their shoes with paper booties, the kind people working in the OR wear. 

As this was a formal event, the women were dressed elegantly, and as my friend commented, "They didn't get those dresses in Wilmington." But even fancier were their sparkly, toe baring high heels. When given the bad news about the booties, just about all the women moaned, "You mean I have to cover my cute shoes?" I felt like such a party pooper, but that was the law from above. The one size fits all blue paper shoe covers were not made for five inch heels. Neither did they fit well over the men's Italian loafers, but they made do.

Everyone who came was so nice and chatty with us, and I enjoyed some good short conversations. And though we were able to steal away to the food prep area in the garage for only a few minutes, we did get to sample the delicious dishes that were prepared for the guests.

I will be a docent there again before it ends.

Here's an iPhone pic. The only one I took. 

No comments:

Post a Comment