Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Jelly Roll

Book Club met at my house yesterday, and that meant not only did I have to get the house in order, I had to come up with a suitable dessert for the midafternoon meeting. I decided on Jelly Roll, an old favorite that my grandmother used to make. I told my plan to my childhood friend here, and she said that she had my grandmother's recipe. Was I surprised! I had always used one from a cookbook when I baked them, and never realized my grandmother even used a recipe. Since I had never tried making Jelly Rolls this way, I stuck with the one from the BH&G cookbook, but next time, I am definitely going to follow family tradition! They sure are good, and it is nice to have a little left over for coffee in the morning.
 
 
Mama's Jelly Roll   
 
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cold water
1 cup plain flour
 
Preheat oven to 425. Beat eggs and sugar until thick. Add water and flour alternately. Spread in wax paper lined jelly roll pan.  Bake 12 minutes or until golden.
 
Sprinkle clean tea towel with granulated sugar. Unmold cake on towel. Remove paper lining and trim any dry edges. Roll while hot and let cool in towel. Unwrap and spread with grape jelly or other filling.  Reroll with seam side down. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment