Monday, November 23, 2015

Sharing

While driving back from Charlotte yesterday, I kept thinking that maybe I could make it to the church dinner after all. My Sunday School class was supposed to help with the set up. I knew my absence wouldn't make much of a difference, but if I could get there, why not.
I had plenty of time to plan as I cruised south on 74. As soon as I got in the house, I assembled my one dish that, upon completion, reminded me of an old commercial. "This rice is all . . . stuck together!" Nevertheless I did not go empty handed. Then I freshened up a bit.
One of the fun things about Baptist churches is the way they hold those old fashioned covered dish suppers, and the one at FBC that precedes Thanksgiving is the biggest. There is turkey, ham, wild game, stews, and roasts. Seasonal side dishes are brought in by everyone and placed on the eight long tables. It smelled so good! 
As it turned out, they needed my help after all.
After the blessing, the hordes of people came through, and kept coming, lining both sides of the tables, finding their favorite Thanksgiving foods. Everyone was happy to be there, including me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment