Thursday, February 18, 2016

a charming lilt

In all these years of living in the Carolinas, nobody ever commented on my speaking style, but on several occasions since being back in Wilmington, people have.
The funniest remark (to me) was from a woman from Connecticut who asked, "Do I detect an accent?" I informed her,  "It is a Wilmington accent." She responded as if I were a curiosity!
A couple of people think it is "sweet" that I use the word "Granddaddy" as in "My grandmother and granddaddy are buried here."
Today the tax lady said in closing, "By the way, I love your accent." I told her I had always lived in the Carolinas, so I guess it is just a generic Carolina accent. She of course was from north of North Carolina.
Really it is more, though. Maybe a relic of the past. The younger generations have been influenced by the media I think, and they tend to sound alike wherever they have grown up or who their mothers and daddys were.
Not much I can do at this point, so I guess I will just be a remembrance of how Southerners used to talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment