Monday, February 8, 2016

call it character

Recently I partially read an article titled something like "Ten things you don't know about Ted Cruz."
One of the revelations was that he is even tempered.
Today I actually answered a political phone call that led to asking which problems in the U.S. today are the most in need of dealing with.
Both made me think about qualities of a leader.
It goes without saying they must be familiar with all that the job encompasses and the problems that must be addressed. But personal traits like an even temperament are really important!
I thought . .  if I am involved in the selection process, and with my one vote I am, what do I want to know about a candidate? I want to know who they are, where they came from, who their friends are, what their influences are, how they treat people, and their beliefs. These things greatly affect decision making. It is not just hearing someone say, "I will do such and such as president," but knowing how they arrive at their decisions, and how their opinions and character were formed.

No comments:

Post a Comment