Thursday, April 13, 2017

at home

Over the past couple of months, I have bought a lot of new clothes. Choosing not to add to my existing, rather shabby wardrobe during the previous season plus a new Belk credit card made me do it! After struggling to get the pretty new items in my closet, I thought I just needed more hangers, but what I really needed was to purge. So I went through everything in there, old pieces I brought from Greenville and some newer bad purchases, and I bagged up the no-longer-needed items for recycling. But where should I take them?

Maybe a year ago I went with someone to a second-hand place. When I walked through the door, it felt familiar, and I knew that long ago, I had been there with my grandmother. But where was it? I googled "Guyton's old grocery Wilmington," and some nice historian had listed all the old grocery stores and their locations. I found my drop off spot.

This may be a boring story, but I tell it just to say I love the old memories that surface during my meanderings around town. It is affirming and comforting, threads and knots in the fabric of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment