Thursday, January 31, 2019

The 2:30 lesson

Right now I am at the Volvo dealership, service department. I brought my iPad to keep me busy while I wait for an undetermined time. This is my first visit here, but I took Jacob’s advice and brought my eleven year old car for an evaluation and treatment, or whatever it is called in the car world. When I came in the waiting room, a conversation was going on between two folks, a young white woman customer and a middle aged black male employee. The girl left to drive her car off, and the man and I spoke. “Are you from Wilmington,”I asked. ”Lived here all my life!” I told him I could tell and why. Wilmington natives are nicer than other people. More respectful. More comfortable and easy. So we talked a little about it. He told some stories of how he dealt with some edgy angry newcomers. That is simply the way some northerners are. George Costanza for one! That is not the Wilmington way. Natives generally find a way to be lighthearted about any situation.I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment