Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Civic Duty

Whether we call it a season or a chapter of life, I have come to the one I am naming Singleness and finding it to be as sweet as any other. I have a freedom that I never before had, and I don't know what to do with it. Should I do this or that or the other. So I am sampling different things that appeal to me. In the medical field we call it ruling out. I will explore and then rule out whatever is boring, unpleasant or uninspiring. 

Yesterday, mid-term election day, I sampled working in a polling place. Prior to that, I had only seen a polling place from the voter's perspective. As horrifying as it is, in Wilm a voter is not expected to show a voter ID - or an ID of any sort! If you state your name and that you live at a real address, you can vote. (That is beyond my control so I won't go on about it.) Overall, the four hours I was observing were interesting. The best part is that I got to go to an election party after the polls closed. I had seen these after election parties on television where candidates, festive patriots and others were lifting their glasses and whooping it up in a bar or party room, and I wished I could be there with them. Last night I was! The anticipation built up as we watched the results on two big screens, one with national results and one with local. The school board races were big in my neck of the woods, and good news, all four of the patriots won! The school board has been a mess lately under the leadership of misguided people who lack a moral compass and have proved to be unable even to run a meeting! It needed new blood from seasoned reasonable educators and intelligent folks who want kids to grow into responsible non-perverted adults. We are so thankful that enough people in the county wanted the same thing. It also looks like we are getting a good new US senator. 

I am not ruling out this govt stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment