Monday, March 11, 2024

Mama’s shoes

I went shopping today for new wearable items. 
First a trip to Rack Room in the mall. A few years ago, BC (before Covid), I bought four pairs at once, and was I proud of myself! Today I did the same, and what a great price I paid for all four! 
I know I’ll be happy I got them. 
As I was loading the fours shoe boxes in the car, I was reminded of my Wilmington grandmother and her shoes. Mama bought one pair a year. It was a big deal that day when she went downtown to carefully select them. They new ones looked like the old ones, black pumps with a bit of a sturdy heel, just shinier and unwrinkled. The new shoes were saved for church or other dressing up, and the older ones she wore around the house. Both pairs were kept under her side of the bed. Mama couldn’t walk without shoes! It seems I remember she had a very old pair of black lace up boot-like shoes, the kind that needed a special tool for lacing. I was born in 1944 and spent a lot of time with her the first seven or eight years of my life. I love having those memories to compare with how life is lived today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment