Thursday, January 9, 2014

getting into art again

A few weeks ago I popped in at an old warehouse that is now used strictly for art in one form or another. Its big empty front space is planned to be a gallery eventually I learned, and I could envision it being wonderful. Going through another door I found several small studios, and met some nice women artists at work at their easels. After some animated conversation, meeting and greeting, they told me about a group that meets regularly on Wednesday mornings at the art museum. The new session was to start this week and I could come. Yea!! There would be no instruction and people could use whatever medium they wanted. I couldn't wait. This was different for me as it was not to be flowers, fruit or landscapes but the nude human body. In spite of the fact I have seen lots of nakedness as a nurse, I wondered if I would feel weird about it. Not to worry. It was a great experience, and I think I enjoyed it more than anything I have attempted. The model was a woman of Italian descent with beautiful skin, a small feminine body made supple by yoga, and I seriously doubted she had ever given birth. She made some graceful poses and held them for twenty-five minutes at a time, long enough for the accomplished artists in the group to do some splendid paintings and for me to do a decent pencil drawing  and a couple of pastels. Next week we are supposed to have a male model. hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment