Tuesday, July 1, 2014

out and about

On this first day of July there were a few things I had to do.
First I realized I had to get a haircut and stat. Funny how the need for one always sneaks up on me. Since being here I've had several haircuts at a Great Clips from Daisy, a chatty middle aged black woman who is a Wilmington native. Our conversations are full of stories and memories, and I like her. As life would go, she wasn't there today due to a move to another store, and I got a brusque young woman from New England. I suppose she did OK, but next time I am going to drive to the other side of town and visit with Daisy.
Then I went to Sam's where I picked up an order from my new BFF in the photo lab. He told me he was the one running the print machine as my collages were coming out so he had a good look at them already. Though I appreciated his input, his question as to why I included the big tree left me aghast. It was the Airlie Oak, the oldest and largest live oak in the state!
Then I went by Hobby Lobby, where business was going on as usual, and got some poster frames for the new project. I took them to the studio and showed them to the few folks there.
Since the drive through line was long I went into Starbucks for a delicious green tea Frappuccino, compliments of the giver of the gift card that had eight dollars left on it. Though the frap was good, I don't like to see people handling money and the top of my drinking vessel in the same few seconds. Call me picky.
And being almost out of flour, I stopped by Food Lion on the way home and found that my favorite, White Lily, was fifty cents off a five pound bag. My lucky day! So I bought four bags, ten pounds of bread flour and ten of unbleached. The cute girl at the register asked me, "Are you going to make something amazing with this?" What a sweet and dreamy thought. I wish! I told her I mostly just bake bread for myself, and that I have been doing it for so long it has become a part of who I am. She said she knits, crochets, and makes things with beads, and next time I come in to find her and she will show me her art work.
I figure the flour will last until Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment