Monday, July 28, 2014

It is a female anhinga

After a few hours of tending to "chores" at home, I felt the need to be in nature. I love the outdoors, and what better place to go than Greenfield Lake, only about five minutes up the road. There is always something to see there. Today I was looking over the lake, watching the turtles poke their noses through the green water, admiring the moss swaying from the cypresses, when I saw a slender brown bird swoop down on then quickly dive under the water. It stayed forever it seemed, then many yards away, I spotted its long neck rising up and a gleaming silver fish was in its beak. He lifted his head and swallowed the fish, and even from my distance, I could see it sliding down. Then just as quickly, it disappeared back under the murky lake. It reminded me of the Loch Ness monster!
I asked the two guys I saw there if they knew what it was. One shook his head no. The other said it was a stork. I have no idea, but I am going to find out. Note: also called a snakebird because that is what it looks like! It is new to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment