Saturday, July 26, 2014

Shrimp Scampi

Last summer when I was still in ecstasy over being in Wilmington, I would stop by the shrimp truck more than necessary and buy a pound or two. Buying fresh shrimp right out of the back of a truck seemed like so much of a treat that I didn't even mind popping off their slimy heads, a job I had chosen not do previously, ever in my life. I fixed them many ways, boiled, fried, in salads, etc so much that I tired of them. But that didn't stop me from buying more so I could just pull them out of the freezer during those cold, out of season months.

Since I am now at the coast, I wanted to have a seafood specialty to serve the flocks of visitors I expected, and I decided on shrimp scampi, a relatively easy but richly flavored main dish. (It involves more prep time but a brief actual cooking time.) After many attempts - and adding way more butter and garlic than I could imagine - I can now say I make a mean shrimp scampi.

But I have learned that not everyone shares my enthusiasm for it. "Oh no," a friend replied when I asked if she liked it. Only a bland traditional cuisine for them. Another claimed an allergy to all things seafood. My plan has been foiled by the shrimp haters!
So this evening I made shrimp scampi for just the two people who live here. The way the sauce glistened on the linguini was beautiful sight, and it tasted great, too.

I hope to use up all my last year's frozen shrimp before the truck pulls off for good in November.

No comments:

Post a Comment