Friday, June 19, 2015

Tribute to a Sole Covering

The news in my inbox informed me that today is National Flipflop Day.
It was started within the past decade by a smoothie chain, but more places have joined in the playful recognition. Since I love flipflops and can't wait to set my piggies free as soon as winter passes, I love the idea.
It was maybe the late fifties when I saw the cheap rubber shoes in the drug store for the first time, but back then they were called thong sandals. Perhaps throughout history that is what they were, but language changes and the nickname that came from the sounds they make as we walk stuck.
Flipflops seem good for my feet somehow, like little muscles are being exercised that aren't when I wear closed shoes. And I just read that walking in them actually strengthens our knees.
Now it is about time to put on one of my many pairs and celebrate.


No comments:

Post a Comment