Sunday, March 27, 2016

Church Today

I awaken early each Easter with the intent of attending an Easter Sunrise Service, and then I fall back to sleep. Oh well. Maybe next year, I think. Mornings and I have never been buddies. But today the hubby and I actually got up, and out, and went! I hoped it would be lovely and inspiring.

This marked the fortieth year that FBC has done an early Easter service at beautiful Airlie Gardens under the 470 year old moss draped live oak tree. I imagine some of those mornings were spectacular, seeing the dark of night break forth into a new day, singing hymns of resurrection. While I kept a grateful heart, the expectation exceeded the reality of it all. After we unfolded our chairs to sit, the drizzle turned to a light downpour. The air got colder, and the sun did not dare to shine. Nevertheless, the Baptists kept calm and carried out the full extent of their much appreciated short program.

Then at eleven, I (having become part of the choir) was at the traditional service. It was a rollicking good time, as I heard someone say. For the offertory, our fabulous organist played something with the theme of Christ the Lord is Risen Today that went on for much longer than usual, and was loud and awesome! At the close of the service, the choir, the organ, the brass, and anyone else who wanted to join us in front, or from anywhere, sang the Hallelujah Chorus. I thought it was a great idea to invite the others to join "the throng" for that beloved piece of music that so many have sung somewhere, sometime before.

Isn't it wonderful that we live in country where we can still go to church and worship as we choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment