Tuesday, June 28, 2016

The Help

It probably seems ridiculous that two people with very little to do would need help keeping a small house clean and tidy, but I have been wishing and hoping someone would come along to do just that, A few weeks ago, my aunt Margaret said her former cleaning lady was in need of some customers since she stopped working for Merry Maids. Great timing. I called Veronica and she was happy to get the work. Last week she stopped by to give me an estimate, and today she and a friend came to clean for the first time.

Remembering the maids my mother and I both had back in the old days, and how it all worked, I was hesitant. Back then, my mother cleaned before the highly valued maid came so the maid would have only the easiest work to do. In a seven to eight hour time span, she would dust and run the vacuum and do a lot of ironing. When I was a young housewife, I had a few maids. I am sure one in particular found great joy in pulling the wool over my eyes. Daisy told me she had no idea how to mop a floor and was perplexed at my simplest requests. She did not "help" me for very long!

What a difference between then and now.

The two young woman who arrived today brought with them tools of the trade: a stepladder, several metal poles with fluffy stuff at the ends, buckets, a hand cart of sprays and other supplies. They got to work quickly. I heard the rustle of blinds and smelled the scent of clean. They effortlessly worked in all the high and low corners of the house; they mopped my wood floors and dried them; they made the bathrooms sparkle! I was delighted.

More than delighted, I was thrilled! Connie was right. I do need a cleaning lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment