Thursday, December 28, 2017

A Chilly Day

I don't usually mind cold days when I stay in - like today - especially when I think back to those working years when I had no choice but to get out and show up.
I often left for my nursing job early in the morning. I would have to scrape ice off the car's windshield and peek through a small fuzzy clearing in the glass to see where I was going. Then my breath would fog the inside of the window. I hoped nothing would prevent me from clocking in on time when I finally reached the inside of the hospital. And then, there were those times when I left in the dark of night and hoped I would be awake and alert for whatever bad surprises I would encounter until 0730 rolled around. Being responsible and doing difficult work taught me so much and made me a better person.
But now, I can be thankful for these non-working days - and thankful for social security that lets me have a choice.
I am also getting some things done (mostly art duties) that I have felt a little overwhelmed by. I volunteer to do things when I have no idea how to do them. Then I have to learn! I like to learn how to do stuff, but sometimes I wish I weren't that way. One thing I have learned is if you press on and do one little thing at a time, it all gets done.

No comments:

Post a Comment