Sunday, January 21, 2018

Heavy reading

January is my book reading month, and I have finally started on the first, Martin Luther, The Man Who Rediscovered God and Changed the World, by Eric Metaxas. It is well written and interesting, and it is also making me feel ignorant, therefore giving me a lot to learn. Because of the 500th anniversary of the Reformation in 2017, I became interested in Martin Luther and realized I knew nothing about him, the era, or how he did in fact change the world. Now I am almost to the hundredth page, and at this point, he is fed up with the corruption and manipulations within the Catholic Church. Pretty soon he will be nailing his 95 theses to the Castle Church door. I have had to look up some people, places and words to understand better, but I am beginning to get it. Power vs truth. Discernment vs blindness. Fear vs faith. Knowledge vs apathy. Deceit vs honesty. Familiar themes.

No comments:

Post a Comment