Friday, February 16, 2018

art excursion

Along with a few other people, I spent yesterday at the NC Art Museum. Ever since I went to MoMA about twenty years ago, I have enjoyed art museums, and our state's is a pretty nice one. After the meeting and a lunch of delicious turkey and brie sandwiches, we were able to look around. When I got to the main building, rather than wander I asked if there were any paintings by Lucas Cranach who is a prominent person in my Martin Luther Study. They had two. One by the elder and one by the younger, the son. I was glad to see my friend Martin up close and with his best bud no less. And then there was a gigantic painting by the most famous living artist, G Richter. Sometimes artists take their work very seriously and sometimes non-artists take it seriously too. They dig into it and interpret it like poetry. I say let it be. Sometimes I think it is tongue-in-cheek. And as Richter said, "Painting is another form of thinking."

No comments:

Post a Comment