Saturday, June 16, 2018

Book Selection

The book club I am in has been going on since 1942, and we follow some longstanding traditions. For the new year, each member chooses a book to put in the rotation, meaning each book gets passed around in an orderly way so that everyone gets a chance to read it. The books must have been published in the year we start back after our summer break, so this time the books must have come out in 2018. After that one rule, choosing one is not as easy as you might imagine. Last year, I think I read and/or bought four books before I settled on the big cookbook, an atypical choice. I look for clean. A book that does not rely on bad language to make a point. One that is relatively pleasant and well written. One that will not embarrass me. After perusing goodreads and amazon, I took a chance and ordered "All the Way to Italy” that is considered fiction but is mostly autobiographical. I prefer that to a made up story. After all those years working in psychiatry, I know when a story lacks plausibility. I started reading it today, and I think I did good.
We can tell when someone puts in a book without reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment