Wednesday, March 11, 2020

the virus

The virus of the year is bringing people together, putting us all on common ground. Whether they believe the hype or are just trying to fit in, everyone is more aware of germs right now.  Extending elbows or making fist bumps instead of gripping a stranger's hand is perfectly acceptable. I hope it stays that way. I am not a fan of handshaking. Why is it even necessary? Especially among women. Last night another vintage woman and I were saying how we learned that only in a business situation or if the older woman offers her hand, does the younger woman shake it. Call me old fashioned, but I don't like to be forced into a handshake. I vote for a pleasant verbal greeting and good eye contact instead. And I'm glad that handwashing is in. People are encouraged to do it the way nurses are trained. Can't go wrong with friction and changing surface tension to get rid of unwanted invisible creatures on our skin. I think it would be nice if these two practices remain long after the virus is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment