Thursday, November 18, 2021

Life in the mailbox

Every time I open the mailbox, I am greeted buy a cheery little lizard (anole) and his tiny frog friend who is usually clinging to the inside of the door. Back and forth, he goes. An unfortunate event from couple of years ago made me think I should tape a note to the door to warn the mailman of the little occupants and to open with care. Sadly back then, a lizard was smashed in the door. It was tragic to see his dangling, lifeless body, and I do not have my man around now for such emergencies. In order to keep the ads from piling up, I needed to get the contents, i.e. ads, out of my mailbox, so I tapped on the metal door and carefully pulled it down. There was the tiny frog in his usual place, but not just one but three lizards were scurrying around! Party time! 

Little anoles have always been in Wilmington, and I like them. When they are in the mailbox they are a dull brown, not the bright green like they are outside in nature. But never in my life have I seen little green tree frogs until this year. Yesterday one was in my toilet, not swimming but in the rim. I saw him hop out and into the shower, and after that, he was off to places unknown. Like the anole, the tiny mailbox frog camouflages into a dull brown when he is at rest in the mailbox. Sometimes I see their shapes on the windows outside at night.

However, now I need to find a way to make the mailbox uninhabitable for them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment