Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Still in The Word

Now I am in Isaiah. I have really loved reading the Bible through sort of rapidly. One person told me she would have a hard time doing it because she didn't understand it. Does anyone deeply understand except for the most divinely inspired and learned Biblical scholar? 

If I were going to tackle this lengthy read, I would make it interesting and enjoyable, I decided. So I am reading from different versions using the printed word, my iPad, and occasionally using an audio app. It also helps that I have read at least something in the Bible most days out of the past seventy years, so many parts are not only familiar but recitable and loved.  "Like apples of gold in a setting of silver," (from Proverbs.) But maybe the biggest key for making it work for me is all the  church/worship/gospel music I have sung. Most Christian music is from the Bible, some word for word. For many years I sang in Handel's Messiah, and Isaiah 40 that I just read is the foundation for several of its choruses and solos. 

When I finish the remaining twenty-six chapters of Isaiah, I will start the wordiest book of the Bible, Jeremiah. After that, I will feel like I am home free. I enjoy getting the big picture as I fly over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment