Monday, September 17, 2018

how quickly we adapt

It's a sunny, blue sky day here in the Midlands of South Carolina. There are different kinds of butterflies flitting around, and I saw a hummingbird outside the window. Peter said they nest in the tall trees about forty yards from their house. The ground soaked up the rain that fell softly over the past thirty-six hours. I could get used to life in the country. It will be hard going back to my tenth of an acre no matter how convenient it is. Meanwhile back in Wilmington, the people who stayed behind must adapt to worse conditions. I am trying to stay on top of it all and that is mainly through Facebook. Each time I see a picture of the flooding or read a story of someone helping or making it through a difficult situation, my mind goes back there. I do love Wilmington and I hate to see the devastation. They say it is now an island, not approachable by land vehicles. I will leave here when the "all clear" is given.
Hearing the continued news about the approaching huge hurricane, I mulled over getting the heck out of dodge. I was torn. I really didn't want to leave, but thinking I should, on Wednesday I quickly made the decision and quickly organized. I prepared the house the best I knew how, putting some things on higher ground and covering others. I didn't know what to pack. I was filled with questions. Would the house flood? When would I ever get back? In three days or two weeks or ever? Would I lose everything? Then I realized that is was all just stuff, and even if I were still alive in twenty years, I wouldn't need any of it. Even five years! I tossed three changes of clothes, my thyroid medicine, and a few personal items in one bag. In another I put my laptop, camera, iPad, chargers, books, and pens. A few shareable groceries went in another. Wisely I threw in my duck shoes and rain hat that ties under the neck. Some bottles of water, a sandwich and snacks, and I was ready to go. I was thankful I had the car serviced the week before and had found a place to fill up the gas tank on Tuesday. At that time it was hard to find gas, and grocery store shelves were being emptied. Now Hurricane Florence has gone, but the flooding remains. As the Cape Fear River fills with water from the bodies of water that empty into it before going to the Atlantic, the unknown is how high will it go.

 pics of the day

No comments:

Post a Comment