Sunday, September 7, 2014

Churchill on speaking

While cleaning off a table, I found these notes I had taken during a talk on Winston Churchill. I will see if I can decipher them.

"Give in only to good sense and honor."
"The price of greatness is responsibility."

When speaking to a group, he advised: Start strong. You have ninety seconds to get the audience. Get involved in the audience. Know who is there. State your aim. Know what you want to get across. Focus your message. Paint a picture in the minds eye so the audience can "see" what you see. Talk to, not at, the audience. Relate to the audience. Know their language. Keep your words short and sweet. (I think that may be my paraphrase.)

Now if I ever get called upon to give a speech, I know where I can go for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment