Sunday, September 4, 2016

church

It has been a pleasure for me to attend the church of my early childhood, the one I would drive by over the years when I was in Wilmington and long to enter.
It is a little different from the one formal service held when I was a little girl.
A second service at 0900 was added several years ago that is more relaxed and has a band that engages the congregation in contemporary praise music. (I think my grandmother would have approved.)
Because of the later 1100 hour, I attend the "traditional" service, and it give me the chance to participate in the regular choir. I love the old hymns and the anthems we sing. It is lovely and causes me to reflect on the way it was, but it is a relic of the twentieth century that will probably die out eventually. America doesn't seem to treasure propriety or protocol or much about good history.
But God's church, his body of believers, will always be, and all cultures will find a way to gather together and worship. God will always have his people.

1 comment: