Monday, September 26, 2016

some things we have done

One full day left in Amsterdam, and what will we choose to do?
There were two main things, and I did them. One was to get a better sense of part of my heritage, and the other was to go to the Van Gogh Museum. I can check both off my list.
And when you tell people you are going to Amsterdam, the standard response has something to do with the red light district. Check to that, too.
We have eaten French fries with mayo and poffertjes from street venders, and Indonesian Rice Table from one of the best restaurants in town. Tomorrow we are in search of some street stroopwaffles.
Trip has done more exploring that I have. I defer to his youth! He is the one who knows which tram to get on and which stop to get off. Thank goodness! I feel like I have mostly walked and eaten!
The hotel has a fabulous breakfast, and its location is in a busy interesting location.
I am choosing not to bring some things back that maybe I should. Like cheese. Especially Gouda..
And by the way, it is not really pronounced goo da. It starts with a hard guttural G followed by an emphatic ow then a da. How stupid I have been all these years!!
Today we took a tour of some towns and villages that still live the way the we old timers learned about. Every place had chickens! Some had pretty black and white cows, goats, swans swimming, sheep, ducks...
I will post a few pix.

No comments:

Post a Comment